In November 2016, a Henrico County bond referendum was voted on and approved to allocate $16 million for upgraded athletic fields and a new Ridgefield Parkway entrance to Tuckahoe Park.
Henrico County Manager John Vithoulkas, Tuckahoe Supervisor Patricia O’Bannon, and the Director of Henrico County Parks and Recreation, Neil Luther, recently met with representatives from Tuckahoe Little League (TLL) and Tuckahoe Sports (TSI) to officially start the process for renovating Tuckahoe Park.
A summary of this Tuckahoe Park meeting is included below for your reference.
Tuckahoe Park Project Goals
- Continue the legacy of TLL youth baseball and softball by providing a unique park unlike any other in our area.
- Maintain the partnership between Tuckahoe Little League and TSI, ensuring TSI remains the official training center for TLL for years to come.
Tuckahoe Park Project Details
- The project is fully supported by the County Manager and Supervisor O’Bannon, and will be implemented in partnership with Henrico Parks and Recreation.
- The Funds for the Tuckahoe Park renovation become available in 2022, and we hope to break ground then.
- $16M is available and already committed to the project.
- Tuckahoe Little League and TSI will work hand in hand on the project design to ensure our players get exactly what they need.
- The renovation will use the footprint already approved in the original master plan, with the only change being the makeup of the actual fields based on today’s needs. The original plan included input from both the league and the surrounding neighborhoods. Changes to the new plan will not change the approved perimeter boundaries.
- The new layout will support sports tourism and our community by upgrading our fields and adding walking areas, restrooms, and additional parking.
- The county is currently pursuing land adjacent to John Rolfe Commons Shopping Center to help improve parking and provide better access to the park.
- Many of the fields will be able to accommodate multiple uses and dimensions (e.g. Little League, 50/70, travel ball).
Tuckahoe Park Renovations
These are very exciting times. These Tuckahoe Park renovations will further establish the park as a premier baseball and softball destination within the Commonwealth of Virginia, if not the entire Mid-Atlantic region.
The next phase of this project includes tweaking our “park wish list” and submitting it to an engineer for design. This part of the process may take six to nine months. As we move forward and receive more information, TSI is committed to keeping you updated through this website.